Windows that you can't seem to close.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Subaru Outback. We all know that there all kinds of kinky things that go on in Subaru's. If you disconnect the battery, you have to go through a rigid routine to "Teach" the windows to go up and down.
Well, now I have a Passenger Side window that when you go to close it (from either the driver's side or the Passenger side, it will go up, but as soon as it gets to the top it will reverse and go down to half mast. This is what would happen it a finger were in the way, instead of crushing it, the window reverses. Well, the dealer said that there must be some gradoo that is standing in for a finger. You can still get the window up in the end by taking baby steps all the way to the top and it will not reverse. So armed with this idea from the dealer that something is in the track of the window that is causing it to reverse. I vigorously ran a tooth brush all along the groove in the door that the window follows. Found nothing, Got a powerful flash light and could find nothing.
I am guessing that something in some little computer doo-dad that has gotten it all wrong and is causing it to do this. Any ideas guys?????

Seems like a common issue, this happened to my legacy after servicing it with the battery disconnected aswell. Sometimes the window would automatically go up sometimes it would bounce back half-way. However it was only an issue on the drivers side window. I tried multiple times to "Reprogram" the windows by doing the normal relearn procedures but it wouldnt go away.
What ended up fixing it for me was when I disconnected the battery again after servicing a while after the problem started. I feel like it is kind of random because I disconnected the battery multiple times after the problem first appeared. But it randomly went away after one of the times I did disconnect it.
Not really a confirmed fix but this is how it went away from me.

I have had this issue off and on with my 22 FW. Usually, if I can stop it just before it starts back down, about an inch or so below the top, then leave it that way for a while, it goes away. Also, if I shut off the car at a stop and then restart, it resolves. I do have the windguards, so leaving it open as mentioned it is still covered. I have discussed with techs at the dealership and they noted this issue is not unheard of, but no one seems to know a permanent fix.

So, since Subaru has no idea how to fix the situation - and their guessing what to do, did nothing to fix the problem. What I have done to close the window is to activate the close window switch, the window goes up to the top and then reverses to half way down. I then just press the up switch in short bursts, basically walking the the window up in short commands until the window until it settles into the window frame. DONE.

Ask a Question