Unexpected timing belt failure while driving.

Reaction score
I drive a 2009 Subaru Forester.

So I was on my way to my uncles garage to work on my car (surprisingly convenient) and the car suddenly just shuts off while driving. No loud bangs, nothing like that, just quits. So I put it in neutral and coast to a stop on the road (its a manual) and call my uncle saying the car just quit and there is apparently no compression at all when I attempt to start it. Initially I thought the engine completely separated from the gear box or something because there was no engine braking effect when the foot was off the gas pedal and it sounded like the starter was not even engaging anything. So we use his truck to push the car to his shop. We do a quick diagnosis.

The starter does engage and turn the engine there is just no compression. Heck, I can even put the car in gear and push with no resistance but we can see the crank pully turning.

No compression = no timing belt and probably bent valves.

Timing belt was last replaced at 180k miles with a belt that *should* have been good for 105k miles. Currently the car is at 260k miles so belt problems were unexpected. Also the car was running perfectly fine with no problems. I was only going to the shop for an oil change, brake pads, and to replace front wheel bearings as the front passenger side wheel bearing was going bad and I replace them in pairs (both L/R front or both L/R back).

So we are currently operating under the assumption that the timing belt snapped. Thankfully it was not under a heavy load or at high RPM when it snapped. I was just coasting down a slight hill in the road doing 55mph at around 2k RPM and the engine just shut off. There is no clanging or clacking noise when the engine is being turned over so we know that none of the valves broke off in the cylinder.

So assuming all the valves are absolutely toasted is it possible I could get away with replacing the valves but not having to replace the pistons?

So we are currently operating under the assumption that the timing belt snapped.
whay assume anything? one bolt on a plastic cover and look! at the belt
if it snapped, it doesn't matter much what speed/RPM's the engine was at , valves will hit.

as to why it failed, depends on who did and what they put in. Should have been either a Subaru kit or and Aisin kit, which is the OEM. If it was a cheap China kit then likely one of the pulley bearings failed or the tensioner

Ask a Question