Towing with Outback XT

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about towing with my Outback Onyx Edition XT. It has a tow capacity of 3500. I found a small travel trailer that I'd like to get, but want to make sure the specifications will work. The trailer has a dry weight of 2540 lbs, a payload capacity of 1290 and a hitch weight of 330. Am I good to tow that with my Outback leaving me 960 lbs of payload remaining? I see so much info out there it gets very overwhelming. Hoping someone here has some insight into this. Thanks all!!

2,540 + 1,290 = 3,830 lbs. You would be over by 330 lbs. The hitch weight is not counted. You need the 330 lbs to keep the trailer from swinging from sids to side. I would not worry about the extra 330 lbs. Subaru is always on the conserative side of saftey. If it bothers you, cut the payload down by 330 lbs.

But would I be over by that much? That 1290 is with maxing out the payload in the trailer. Also, do you know about trailer brakes? I read somewhere that they aren't needed for trailers under 3000 lbs, but also saw something directly contradicting that. Any insight?

And I also read the that hitch weight IS counted....ugh. so much contradictory stuff out there.

But would I be over by that much? That 1290 is with maxing out the payload in the trailer. Also, do you know about trailer brakes? I read somewhere that they aren't needed for trailers under 3000 lbs, but also saw something directly contradicting that. Any insight?
See the owners manual. State of Ohio where I am says over 2,000 lb you need trailer brakes. I suggest lyou use them.

Ask a Question