Symptoms of bad wheel bearing or CV joints on 2015 Forester

Reaction score
I am familiar with the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing or CV joints gone bad on American cars. What are the symptoms for a 2015 forester? Recently have had loud whine noise that grows louder at higher speeds and decreases when brakes are applied, and car is slowed. I don't get any difference in sound levels when I turn the wheel right or left. Any help would be appreciated.

It would probably sound the same. I have a bad wheel bearing in my 2023 Outback and it sounds like a bad bearing I replaced in a 2000 Taurus.

Hello all. So, I did remove and replace the driver side rear wheel bearing and backing plate (The backing plate was bent, and I was tired of constantly bending it to stop rubbing on the rotor). I test drove it, and it sounded better, but far from perfect. I am still getting a speed related whirl that increases with speed and decreases upon slowing. The car has 75K on it. Is there a bearing in the rear end that is subject to wear, and would make noise like that? If all else fails, looks like I bring it to the dealer. I figured if I could replace the wheel bearing, I could probably tackle something else. Thanks

Ask a Question