Should I fix my Forester?

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Forester with 153k miles. Other than the oil burning I really love this car and want to keep it, however it needs a new Catalytic Converter system which I’m told is 3K. My question is, would it be a mistake to sink that kind of dough into a 2011 with 153K miles? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

I would source your own parts off of rockauto.com or someplace similar, and check around for some different installation prices, thats a pretty insane price especially considering the mechanics will scrap your old cats for several hundred bucks. If the body isnt rusty i would fix it if it was me

I have a 2011 Forester with 153k miles. Other than the oil burning I really love this car and want to keep it, however it needs a new Catalytic Converter system which I’m told is 3K. My question is, would it be a mistake to sink that kind of dough into a 2011 with 153K miles? Any help is appreciated. Thank you
I got rid of our 2010 Forester toward the end of this summer at about 160k. Loved driving it, but it suffered from head gasket issues (had the third one done in January under warranty), and at around this mileage, a lot starts to go (bearings, AC compressor for me). If it makes you happy, and you can comfortably budget 2-3k repairs once or twice a year, maybe keep it? We went a little past the value of the car on repair expenses, and then traded it in.

Honestly the more I think about it, there is no wrong or right answer if you can budget for it 😏

I got rid of our 2010 Forester toward the end of this summer at about 160k. Loved driving it, but it suffered from head gasket issues (had the third one done in January under warranty), and at around this mileage, a lot starts to go (bearings, AC compressor for me). If it makes you happy, and you can comfortably budget 2-3k repairs once or twice a year, maybe keep it? We went a little past the value of the car on repair expenses, and then traded it in.

Honestly the more I think about it, there is no wrong or right answer if you can budget for it 😏
Thank you…. Am I covered under a warranty?

Thank you…. Am I covered under a warranty?

If you have to ask, probably not. This was a warranty offered by my mechanic on the first head gasket issue back at 80k mileage, the cost back then was $4,000, and it got me a lifetime warranty on it with said mechanic. If you've made it this far without head gasket issues, you're either not the original owner, on a turbo engine, or got lucky, and they built the head right out the gate.

I am not sure if this helps, but I traded in my 2010 Forester for a 2024 Crosstrek, and have very few regrets. I slightly miss having the manual and 2.5 L, but I just need a commuter car. Happy to move on, and not worry about high mileage problems for a little while. The tech in the newer Subie's is pretty revolutionary, too.

Ask a Question