Running different size tires

Reaction score
i have a09 imperza with a 2.5 lift
can i get away with running 225/55 17 in rear and 205/50/17 in the front and not cause any damage to drive train

Basically you would be causing the drive train to be managing false slipping continually. This would cause early wear on parts but I’m not sure exactly what would go first. The transmission and transfer joints are designed to manage this in turns and during times the tires are slipping. My biggest concern is that the braking may kick in to slow down the front wheels as they will be rotating faster than rear. This would wear out brakes and make the car almost impossible to drive. Just not sure if the sensors would catch or not.

If you want big tires in back and small in front. It would be best to not have an all wheel drive system.

Just my thoughts. You can always try it and tell us how it works for you. If it works ok, possibly it would help someone to know.

Have a nice day!

Ask a Question