Rebuilt engine knocking noise

Reaction score
Ordered a rebuilt shirt block from Sun west along with the heads being redone at the local machine shop. Everything was primed and pressurized before the initial start. Loud knock or tick from the driver’s side of the engine. Using a stethoscope it sounds like it’s coming from the head valve cover area. Has anybody ever had valves make that much noise? Going to pull the valve cover and readjust the valves again. I did pull a small portion of timing cover and listen to the tensioner it was quiet.

Find the issue. One of the exhausts valves were out of spec. Not sure if it changed after it started or my helper used the wrong feeler gauge. Quiet as can be now.

It's great to find the problem, and that it is something simple. Glad to hear that the mystery was sxolved.
That must have been a great relief.
Sometimes there is the fear that there is "something not right" in all the rebuilt parts.
The feeler gauge must "wipe" a pattern, and, displace the oil, in order to show that it is tight enough. After tightening it must show the same "snugness."
It used to drive me crazy trying to get it "just right".
BTW, an exhaust valve is usually a little bit looser than the intake valve spec in order to account for thermal expansion at the valve stem, but the goal is the same, and that is to make sure that the valve is completely closing (and off the cam).
If the valve is "too loose" than there is a shock contact with the camshaft that can cause premature wear, so, it is good to spend the time to get it right (or check your helper's work). Good Luck with the rebuilt engine.

Ask a Question