Radio Sounds Like Trash 2014 subaru impreza

Reaction score
I came here to ask, what would better to start out with? A new head unit, or new speakers? The stereo just Sounds horrible for the most part. I was pointing towards the head unit is just junk, I'm gonna do both eventually though. Thanks.

I came here to ask, what would better to start out with? A new head unit, or new speakers? The stereo just Sounds horrible for the most part. I was pointing towards the head unit is just junk, I'm gonna do both eventually though. Thanks.
I agree: Start with speakers. Crutchfield.com is very helpful with identifying speakers that fit and providing installation instructions for your specific vehicle.
I have had a number of Impreza and Forester models over the last 15 years, all with horrid audio except for my new Crosstrek Wilderness with the upgraded Harman-Kardon system, which is decent. I think bad audio is a common complaint about Subarus.

Are you listening only to radio stations? Are you listening to AM radio stations. AM just about always sounds bad because the antenna's on modern cars is tuned for FM. AM reception is minimal and AM is more susceptible to noise.

If your other inputs such as CD, iPod or thumb drives is bad, then you best bang for the buck is the speakers. My personal favorite speakers are Polk Audio, but speakers can be subject to personal taste so go to an electronics store and listen to various models for yourself. Odds are your favorite will be different from mine, but at least do try them in the store.

If you need a new head unit, you will need new speakers as most factory speakers cannot handle the power of even the weakest aftermarket head units, so start with the speakers and that my be enough. If it isn't, you would have had to get them anyway so nothing lost.

Press/hold 1 and 6 down and press top right toggle button....loud on/off (acc mode with radio on)

Press/hold 1 and 4 down and press 1 and 4 to turn on through mode(bypass trash eq wagon/sedan modes) (ACC mode with radio off)

Ask a Question