Rack & Pinions 34110FG190 vs 34110FG032

Reaction score
This is my first post here. I generally shy away from online social media, but I have been looking for the differences in these parts without success. I tried using the search feature here, with the part numbers, but did not have any results. I know it's lengthy, but I have seen people get mad if there is not enough information available. If you could help me, I greatly appreciate your time:

Please note: I live at minimum 65 miles one way from any dealership.

TL;DR Question: What are the physical differences between these two Rack & Pinion parts: 34110FG190 vs 34110FG032?

Issue: Non-Turbo 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Rack & Pinion leaked oil.
Went to a local mechanic to have the leak fixed, and he purchased the assembly (autozone I believe) and swapped the new one for the old one.
During the work, the part did not fit. The hydraulic line on the part had a hump that was too large to fit, so the old unit's hydraulic line was scavenged onto the new part. Car was taken to another location to get a wheel alignment as part of the work and I picked up the car with the hired mechanic from the wheel alignment location, those guys seemed upset about something, I was assured it had nothing to do with me, so I got my car and left.

Shortly after receiving the car, the check engine light came on. I figured it would go away but didn't. Went back to the mechanic and his scan showed a Steering Assembly Sensor code. Was told those things go bad, and that replacing it would likely fix the issue.

Due to my gut feelings, I went to the wheel alignment location and was told the following:
- When the car was brought to them for the wheel alignment, the rack and pinion was too far left, and the reason they were mad was because they had to correct that in order to perform the wheel alignment. Since the cost was already agreed upon by the two shops, they ate the cost and labor of the extra work.
- They said after correcting the rack and pinion (centering the tie rods?) there was little play on the threads for the alignment, but they did what they could with what was there.
- I had them perform a visual inspection, and we found that the installed Rack & Pinion has also failed. Too much play before engaging for turns, and a slight clanking sound when doing so.
- I asked if that could be related to the part not fitting, and explained that the hydraulic line from my original part had been scavenged to have the new part 'fit'. To which I was told that there are two different rack and pinions for my model car, and that my current issues (including the Steering Assembly Sensor code) are likely due to those parts being different.

Original mechanic has no issue with 'warranty' work and correcting the problems. Except that there is the one problem that: No parts place knows there are different Rack & Pinions for my model car, and the only one they say is meant for my car, we already know has problems being installed, as the hydraulic line taught us. Soo...

I went to the Subaru website, and looked up the part for my car and found that no descriptions of the Rack & Pinion are available. Called their customer support, and they don't know any details about the part. Was told to call a dealership's Parts Department, and although they are all very nice and helpful, none of their available information gives any specs on the parts.

Does anyone here know the physical specs and differences between the two part numbers?

If you are wondering why I am going through all this: I'm not rich, and what I get per month, unless the mechanic warranties his work and fixes the additional Steering Assembly Sensor problem, I'll be up a creek. I'm just really hoping for some paddles to ease the pain.

Ask a Question