Question about the 2024 Outback

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and will be looking for a car soon (weeks). I have been internet looking at 5 cars, 4 of which have decent financing and Subaru has a great deal right now. I know that the 2024's are becoming scarce, 2 of the 5 cars are either the Subaru Outback or Forester. It seems that the Forester is more scarce than the Outback so if any Outbacks are around at the time I would like to take a look. Funny as I've always heard great things about Subaru but never looked at them because I thought they were very expensive and dealers seemed to be scarce. Seems things are different than what I thought!!:)

My question is - Are Outbacks more of a sedan driver's height or a SUV. I am familiar with a Ford Edge & Chevy Equinox as far as driver's height, I'm looking to get away from sedans. I was in the park the other day and I saw Subarus but I couldn't tell if I was seeing Crosstreks or Outbacks and wasn't sure if the Outback changed it cladding recently, some looked taller than others and I know the Wilderness is raised a bit from the other trims.

I'm looking at the Premium trim with the blind spot detection package if I can find one available. At this point I am looking only at the 2024s due to the current 2.9% for 72 months; the other cars have 1.9% for 48 months. All the other trims get above what I want to spend unless a dealer gets really aggressive in pricing which I doubt!

Any help with this is appreciated.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by sedan driver's height. The outback Premium has a power adjustable driver's seat which can be raised or lowered to increase the distance from the floor to the seat cushion. If you are referencing the ground clearance vs. a sedan, the Outback has 8.5" which is more than a standard sedan. Bear in mind that although the Outback is actually considered a lifted station wagon - it began as a Legacy station wagon when it was first introduced. So far as the Wilderness trim, it adds 1.2" of additional ground clearance. Ground clearance will be the same trim level to trim level with both the Forester and Outback.

BTW: I moved from a Jeep Compass crossover to the Outback. The Outback is a bigger vehicle all around than the Compass was, including overall height if that helps.

Not sure what you mean by sedan driver's height. The outback Premium has a power adjustable driver's seat which can be raised or lowered to increase the distance from the floor to the seat cushion. If you are referencing the ground clearance vs. a sedan, the Outback has 8.5" which is more than a standard sedan. Bear in mind that although the Outback is actually considered a lifted station wagon - it began as a Legacy station wagon when it was first introduced. So far as the Wilderness trim, it adds 1.2" of additional ground clearance. Ground clearance will be the same trim level to trim level with both the Forester and Outback.
Thanks for the replies! I am looking for a car that's not too low to get in and out of the driver's seat. My wife's car is a Ford Edge and I drove a Chevy Equinox as a company car, basically my butt was driver's seat height. I measured the passenger seat height from the ground in my wife's Edge and it's about 28 inches off the pavement, I think I saw somewhere that the driver's seat in an Outback can be about 27 inches off the pavement at it's highest. I was interested in the Forester as well but the 2024's are very scarce by me, the Outbacks are getting there as well!

Thanks for the Compass reference but unfortunately I don't have it in my mind. I decided to go looking tomorrow so I'll be test driving it (hopefully) to see if I like the Outback.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm new here and will be looking for a car soon (weeks). I have been internet looking at 5 cars, 4 of which have decent financing and Subaru has a great deal right now. I know that the 2024's are becoming scarce, 2 of the 5 cars are either the Subaru Outback or Forester. It seems that the Forester is more scarce than the Outback so if any Outbacks are around at the time I would like to take a look. Funny as I've always heard great things about Subaru but never looked at them because I thought they were very expensive and dealers seemed to be scarce. Seems things are different than what I thought!!:)

My question is - Are Outbacks more of a sedan driver's height or a SUV. I am familiar with a Ford Edge & Chevy Equinox as far as driver's height, I'm looking to get away from sedans. I was in the park the other day and I saw Subarus but I couldn't tell if I was seeing Crosstreks or Outbacks and wasn't sure if the Outback changed it cladding recently, some looked taller than others and I know the Wilderness is raised a bit from the other trims.

I'm looking at the Premium trim with the blind spot detection package if I can find one available. At this point I am looking only at the 2024s due to the current 2.9% for 72 months; the other cars have 1.9% for 48 months. All the other trims get above what I want to spend unless a dealer gets really aggressive in pricing which I doubt!

Thanks!
outbacks sit higher and are easy to see out of ,,,,there ride comfort is extremely good ,,,better than the forester or most other vehicles on the road ,,,,you should be able to get a really good deal on a 24 now with 25s around the corner ,,maybe even shoot for a limited well worth the extra few bucks ,,,plus you get it back when you trade in down the line

Hello,

Thanks!
Hello,

Thanks!

I drive a 2023 Outback (my 5th Outback) and my wife drives a 2020 Forester. I love my Outback and Subaru in general. We can't do much better as far as vehicle safety is concerned. Both the Outback and Forester have 8.7" of ground clearance so you don't have to worry about the concrete blocks in parking lots. You won't scrape the bottom of your Subaru. The Outback is about 1" shorter in height than the Forester but about 10" longer and drives like a car. The Outback is fancier inside than the Forester. But, to answer your question (I think) it's nothing like a typical sedan which are low to the ground. Hope this helps. Irwin

I have owned 6 different Outback's, model years 1998 thru 2016. Stopped buying them because for me personally, it became too big of a vehicle. By big, I mean too long. I switched to Forester's that are shorter. The Outback is a terrific vehicle, although I think the Forester has slightly better acceleration; especially if you are looking at the Outback Premium trim. BUT, you can judge this for yourself with a test drive. BUT, to answer your question, the Outback is definitely more of a SUV driver's height than a sedan height. My wife has previously owned two Legacy's, so I am very familiar with the difference between driving a Subaru sedan like the Legacy and an SUV like the Forester and something in-between like the Outback. Actually, out of the three, I liked the Legacy the best from a pure driving enjoyment point of view including acceleration. Unfortunately, I have back problems and its difficult for me to get in and out of the Legacy since it sits lower down to the ground.

I have owned 6 different Outback's, model years 1998 thru 2016. Stopped buying them because for me personally, it became too big of a vehicle. By big, I mean too long. I switched to Forester's that are shorter. The Outback is a terrific vehicle, although I think the Forester has slightly better acceleration; especially if you are looking at the Outback Premium trim. BUT, you can judge this for yourself with a test drive. BUT, to answer your question, the Outback is definitely more of a SUV driver's height than a sedan height. My wife has previously owned two Legacy's, so I am very familiar with the difference between driving a Subaru sedan like the Legacy and an SUV like the Forester and something in-between like the Outback. Actually, out of the three, I liked the Legacy the best from a pure driving enjoyment point of view including acceleration. Unfortunately, I have back problems and its difficult for me to get in and out of the Legacy since it sits lower down to the ground.
Thanks for the reply! I test drove one today and it was a nice ride. It is slightly lower than our Edge and the Equinox that I used to drive and it is definitely higher than my Sonata! They came in too high of a out the door price for it though. I have feelers out at 2 other dealers to see if the first dealer was just too high. If not then I will go to Plan B which is a different brand altogether, Subaru may be just too expensive for my pocket book!

I drive a 2023 Outback (my 5th Outback) and my wife drives a 2020 Forester. I love my Outback and Subaru in general. We can't do much better as far as vehicle safety is concerned. Both the Outback and Forester have 8.7" of ground clearance so you don't have to worry about the concrete blocks in parking lots. You won't scrape the bottom of your Subaru. The Outback is about 1" shorter in height than the Forester but about 10" longer and drives like a car. The Outback is fancier inside than the Forester. But, to answer your question (I think) it's nothing like a typical sedan which are low to the ground. Hope this helps. Irwin
Thanks for the reply! It did drive like a car and sitting in it was like being in a car. It felt comfortable, unfortunately I couldn't get to a highway to see how it does on a highway. The cost is a little too much for me so it may not be something I'll be getting.

Thanks for the replies! I am looking for a car that's not too low to get in and out of the driver's seat. My wife's car is a Ford Edge and I drove a Chevy Equinox as a company car, basically my butt was driver's seat height. I measured the passenger seat height from the ground in my wife's Edge and it's about 28 inches off the pavement, I think I saw somewhere that the driver's seat in an Outback can be about 27 inches off the pavement at it's highest. I was interested in the Forester as well but the 2024's are very scarce by me, the Outbacks are getting there as well!

Thanks for the Compass reference but unfortunately I don't have it in my mind. I decided to go looking tomorrow so I'll be test driving it (hopefully) to see if I like the Outback.

Thanks again!

I have the XT 2023 it’s far above my expectations the AWD has been a signature since their inception tried and proven. You won’t be sorry

I want to thank all who replied! At this point the Outback is not a car I'll be purchasing. Prices are coming in more than I want to spend so it's on to my next choice. The car is a nice car but I can't bring myself in sending much more than I anticipated.

Thanks again for the help!

Ask a Question