Programming FOB Not working

Reaction score
Hello all,
Hoping someone might be able to shed some light.
2014 Impreza, nothing special about it.
1 Subaru OEM key. That works. Starts the vehicle, FOB works.
Purchased a key online. Can get it programmed to start the car, but will not register the FOB.
Got to doing some looking and came across something that said if the FOB is Made in Mexico while the OEM key says Japan, it won't work.
So went on eBay found a key that is Made in Japan, got it in....confirmed the FOB says Made in Japan.
Can program key to start car, will not Register FOB.

I am using an Elite Launch Daigun V scan tool to do the programming as this vehicle doesn't support the Lock/Unlock method.
Using the tool, I can wipe out registered keys. Re-register the OEM key to start the vehicle, as well as it's FOB. You get the "beep" and lock/unlock cycle to confirm the FOB is registered.
But when I immediately do the key I got from eBay (or any other key I tried). Nothing.

So I know my scan tool can do the job.
I know the computer can accept a key being registered cause it will register the OEM key.

But why will it not register any key other than that? Is there something I am missing?

TIA

Ok, nvm.
Should have checked this first instead of assuming.
No battery in the FOB. Amazing what a little voltage will do.
But you do need to make sure the FOB is Made in Japan if the OEM is Made in Japan

Ask a Question