Oil plug fell out after oil change service ....dead engine! Any recourse?

Reaction score
After a local service shop oil change, about 6 weeks later oil plug fell out (concluded by reliable mechanic, and insurance inspector independently). Rapid oil loss, dead engine. There was no noise from the engine (no rattling, grinding). There were fumes coming from under the car and car just lost power and cruised to stop. I did not hear any engine noise, or before incident see any major or minor oil leaks. The leaks would have been obvious under the car in my parking spot. Immediately after incident oil dipstick was bone dry. After engine died car was towed and directly checked by mechanic and first thing note was no oil drain plug.

Mechanic says no bad threads, does not look like any oil pan damage, definitely oil plug not installed properly and most likely not torqued tightly enough. The car refused to start -- no cranking sound. Just a click, but starter motor taken out and check out OK. Called insurance and they independently said same thing.

Yes, I have read many threads etc. Has anyone ever gotten oil change service people to pay up? Anyone know lawyers willing to take on such cases? I really cannot afford to lose the car or buy another. Anyone who rebuilds for hobby willing to try? I am not in any financial position to take this loss or do without a car.

Just distraught!!

Ask a Question