New Member looking for CVT swap info

Reaction score
Howdy all!

I just picked up a 2015 Forester in nice shape but with a dead CVT. It is the TR580. The car starts and runs fine, but will barely move under its own power. It also appears to have been towed or dragged while in PARK, because it will not remain stationary in PARK. With the engine off and the shifter in park, it will roll and make a terrible clattering sound from the trans. I'm thinking the parking pawl was probably sheared or the gear that it engages was broken. Not sure, haven't torn it open yet.

I'm here to explore my options, i.e.--

1. Swap with another used Forester CVT.
2. Swap with another TR580 from another vehicle (Legacy, Outback, etc)
3. Swap with a 6-spd manual from a Forester
4. Rebuild the existing CVT myself.
5. OR, something you might suggest that I haven't thought of?

I'm an experienced DIY mechanic with a shop and lift and I've rebuilt some trans and engines. I've been wrenching on everything from helicopters (USAF mechanic) to snowmobiles, motorcycles, cars, trucks, and tractors for over 40 years. My Subaru experience is limited...I rebuilt my wrecked 1985 GL-10 sedan that my sister ran into a telephone pole in a snowstorm in 1991. What I definitely lack is a knowledge of CVT compatibility between different Subaru models.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains and listen to your suggestions.

I just picked up a 2015 Forester in nice shape but with a dead CVT. It is the TR580. The car starts and runs fine, but will barely move under its own power. It also appears to have been towed or dragged while in PARK, because it will not remain stationary in PARK. With the engine off and the shifter in park, it will roll and make a terrible clattering sound from the trans. I'm thinking the parking pawl was probably sheared or the gear that it engages was broken. Not sure, haven't torn it open yet.

I'm here to explore my options, i.e.--

1. Swap with another used Forester CVT.
2. Swap with another TR580 from another vehicle (Legacy, Outback, etc)
3. Swap with a 6-spd manual from a Forester
4. Rebuild the existing CVT myself.
5. OR, something you might suggest that I haven't thought of?

I'm an experienced DIY mechanic with a shop and lift and I've rebuilt some trans and engines. I've been wrenching on everything from helicopters (USAF mechanic) to snowmobiles, motorcycles, cars, trucks, and tractors for over 40 years. My Subaru experience is limited...I rebuilt my wrecked 1985 GL-10 sedan that my sister ran into a telephone pole in a snowstorm in 1991. What I definitely lack is a knowledge of CVT compatibility between different Subaru models.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains and listen to your suggestions.
It sounds like you and I have similar skills and knowledge of Subbies.
If this was mine, I would pick option #3.
While this would not be a direct swap, linkage, drive shaft length (maybe), adding a clutch pedal...
It will eliminate the unknown provenance of a used CVT, and the chance of it grenading when you least expect it.
It will also save you the hassle of rebuilding the CVT...there is no telling what that broken parking pawl tore up.
You will have to get with Subaru about the wiring on the TCU if you go to the 6M.
hopefully it operates independently from the ECU, and can just be unplugged.
my .02
good luck
AMLOR

Thanks for the quick reply. If I were keeping it for myself, I would definitely go with the MT.

The car actually belongs to my son, a car dealer. He bought it at auction and is afraid that the market for MT vehicles is too small. But the idea is still on the table, depending on how feasible the swap is and how readily available a donor vehicle might be.

I'd love to hear input from anybody who has done the swap and could address questions like driveshaft, PCM, not to mention shifter and console, pedals, etc

Ask a Question