My Car

Reaction score
Hello All, I am new to the Subaru world. This car has been something I wanted since I was 16. I have always wanted one. It is a 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon. 5 Speed manual, the engine is the infamous EJ25 four cylinder. It has currently 213,716 miles on it. I bought the car around 213,358 miles. I love this vehicle it's better then any car I have driven. I have two minor issues with the car. During a "cold start" I can smell a sweet smell in the exhaust just during warm up and it goes away. Yes, the coolant level is the normal level. I drive it but only 30 miles a day maybe 1-3K a year is what I put on a car. I will be taking it to a shop to have the radiator flushed, treated and replace the coolant with 50/50 coolant. Then that is done. I come off the off ramp into our area off of the turn pike. Speed limit is 55MPH when I get home after a big hill the car smells like catalytic converter a lot. I got a entire exhaust system in the back of my car. I am doing EL stainless headers, universal stainless cats, deleting the third cat and resonator and installing a 19" stainless glass pack in place of the factory muffler. I understand it's gonna be loud AF but I don't care. What ever can get me a inspection sticker for five years and I can avoid a car payment. I know these are notorious for head gasket symptoms. The engine was rebuilt around 174,000 miles on it so give or take this new engine probably has about 44,000 miles on it. I been driving it a lot. Very fun to drive. I did all the minor shit to it like plugs, marker lamp bulbs, head lights and filters. Oil change was a nightmare. The previous owner bottomed out the car and smashed the oil pan on a trail. That's why I had trouble with oil plug leaking on the car. It is ok now but the oil pan will need replaced next year! One last thing before I go. The clutch was replaced around 40,000 miles. It has a unspecified clunking sound when you shift below 4,000RPM. I have been driving stick since I was 18 years old. I was just wondering. Do I need to hone in my driving skills or should I just shift at higher revs? What's the proper way to drive a car like this with out screwing things up? My experience was on a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. That car was a big piece of shit. I will never own any thing European again. It's a money racket and a joke!! Subaru's have more of a soul then Toyotas or Honda's do. And it's a step above Kia and Hyundai. Which is even shittier if you ask me. So experienced Subi owners, did I get screwed or just get lucky? Thanks and have a good day- Outback 69 is out.

Question: What size is the exhaust O.D. on the outback. All my stuff is 2" I.D. That is what I measured from surface to surface. On the tail pipe. Thanks- Outback 69

Ask a Question