Mild "jerking" at low speeds, coming out of stops - sometimes accompanied by a groaning noise.

Reaction score
Car specs: (CVT transmission, 2012 Legacy Limited, 2.5L engine) only 41k miles on odometer. New tires and brakes all around. All fluids and filters changed before purchase, but I believe outside of the Trans fluid as I don't think that was changed.

Recently, my Camry shit the bed, and after a long search through what is currently a messy, overpriced, used car market, I stumbled upon what I felt like was a total gem. I picked up a 2012 Legacy with only 40k miles on it. Appeared to be very well maintained. Was traded in at the highest rated Subaru dealership in my area that everyone raves about. (They said it was traded in by someone in upper management that just wanted to get the last year Legacy since it's being axed). Test drove it, and liked it.. and just seemed like a good deal overall. Carfax and Autocheck history showed it was mechanically well taken care of. Proper maintenance and oil changes every 6k miles. Dealer changed all the sparks and fluids and filters before selling it. They did every recommended thing to it that you should change or check (think its called 30k maintenance). Never been in an accident, 1 owner.

I'm about 3 weeks into owning it and have had zero issues...But lately, I have noticed that while going very very slow through like a parking lot, most particularly/exclusively happens coming out of a dead stop, the car occasionally will give a mild jerk and make a farily quiet low pitched groaning type noise while this occurs for a second. The noise sometimes accompanies the jerk, sometimes doesnt. Think I've noticed it happens more often when the A/C is on but it's done it without it on as well. It's only when going very slow, and then you're giving it light steady gas ramping it up, not flooring it, but being very gentle trying to pick up very minor speed. It runs like a dream once you get past like 10 to 15 mph, all the way up to highway speeds and beyond. It literally only happens when giving light gas coming out of a dead stop. It doesn't happen super often, Pretty rarely actually.

Is this me not being used to the CVT or AWD system?.. or is there potentially something starting to go wrong with the transmission? I looked it up and people keep mentioning something about torque converter/lockup, but I see all kinds of answers ranging from oh its normal to oh its probably the CVT starting to go. It's starting to worry me a little bit.

I believe if it keeps doing it or gets any worse I'm going to be making an appointment with the dealer to have them see if they can figure out what it is, if anything. Everything is still covered under warranty since I just bought it.

Greatly appreciate any help, advice, or suggestions.. or peace of mind, thanks for reading as well. I can't tell if I'm being OCD but to me it feels a little off.

No check engine lights or anything have come on. For the most part the car rides and runs perfectly.. and it really only does this on occasion like I mentioned earlier.

Ask a Question