Machine or lap valves?

Reaction score
On my 2009 Impreza 2.5 N/A the tensioner bolt broke completely frigging the valves. Here’s 2 pics of the worst head. Do you think I can get away with lapping the minor ding out of the valve seat? The heads are other within the flatness spec, and no valve guides have migrated or cracked.

I’m not adverse to having the heads machined. It’s just a matter of trying to find a machine shop that is still in operation in the Phoenix / Syracuse NY region. I’m willing to drive up to 1 or 2 hours to drop the heads off and pick them up. After the 5th machine shop that I called just to find out they went out buisness 10 years ago, I’m trying to figure out options.

I want to avoid the stupid price of $700 a piece + shipping for reman heads.

This is no race motor. This is mainly a winter car. So over spending is out of the question. A slightly sketchy fix applied with judgment is far more acceptable to me the paying nearly $2K for heads for a car I paid $2500 for 2 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 4
Photos are not really clear. Try lapping first. Clean and dry all 4 seats and valves. Install into head, sans springs. Chamber up. Rap heads of valves lightly with end of wood. Immerse area with mineral oil or equivalent. If oil doesn't drain past the valves/seats in 30 seconds or so, you should be good to go. If not, machining will be necessary. Try Jasper or Power train Products for a reman head, or salvage yard.

Ask a Question