Lift Gate (Auto)

Reaction score
I have a 2024 Subaru Outback limited. From what I have gleaned from the dealer, it is supposedly not equipped with the Proximity release mechanism. However, I have had numerous instances where the lift gate comes up while washing the Outback or drying that area. I have experimented with moving my hand around the rear deck Subaru logo and at times this lifts the gate? Just annoying.

Also, I don’t like the on/off feature for the engine. Sucks! The bigger sized information center screen is dangerous and keeps your attention away and down from driving safely. I miss my 2019 Subaru Outback, which was totaled in a crash, caused by a driver which didn’t yield at a stop 🛑. I do thank Subaru for the safety features that deployed all the air bags. Life saving🙏

Interesting, my wife's '24 Crosstrek Sport has a rubber covered touch pad under the Subbie logo on the hatchback. it is sensitive, but does not open with a wave or at the car wash.
Have you checked your owners manual? The engine on/off delete button is low on the screen and on the left side of the control panel. I can't imagine that her Crosstrek Sport has the button and a '24 Outback LTD does not...
But this is Subaru...sooo?

If you have the power liftgate, there is a switch on the lower left side instrument panel next to the steering column to disable the proximity access via the Subaru logo. Just push the switch in to disable the feature. Proximity access feature is also disabled if the key fob is not within range of the car. The on/off feature can be turned off via the touchpad on the information screen, but it must be done each time you start the car - it resets when you turn the ignition off. There are aftermarket eliminator kits to bypass the feature, but some models may interfere with other systems on the car according to some posts on this forum. Then there is the issue with possibly voiding your warranty on a new car. So far as the information screen is concerned, there are many functions on the screen that can be controlled by voice command using the button on the steering wheel. These include setting climate control, audio, and navigation if you have it. One note here, the commands are VERY literal. (Consult your Starlink owners manual for recognized commands and search YouTube for videos on how to use the voice command feature.) Enjoy your new Subie!

Ask a Question