Hard start and lights

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5i. I've been having issues with the car occasionally needing to crank for 5-7 seconds before starting. When it does start I have the cruise control light and brake light flashes, traction control light stays on and the check engine light stays on. After the lights are on and the car starts, it runs fine and starts like normal after the single hard start. I called Subaru and they sold me a new gas cap saying it's a known issue. The lights turned off the next day and didn't come back for awhile and again the car ran fine. I replaced the gas cap and I still had occasional (once every few weeks) hard start issues. I took the car to Subaru after one of the hard starts but when they looked at it, all the lights had turned off and everything was fine. They then said it could be the timing belt but they admittedly based that purely off milage (140k or so).

Things continued to be fine and lights came on occasionally after a hard start but recently it's been more frequent. For a week or so, it was happening every couple of days. I also started to smell a fuel smell in the cabin of the car. I checked the purge valve this morning (had that issue on a different car causing hard starts) but it seemed to be just fine. I'm hoping to get some feedback if others experienced this or what else to try before dropping a bunch of money at Subaru to replace the timing belt.

Thank you!

Plugs/coils replaced? Fuel pump possible? The fuel smell may be from the injectors. Good luck.

Ask a Question