Forester wilderness 2023 , bad mpg.

Reaction score
I have the 2023 forester wilderness I love the car but the gas mileage is absolutely terrible . In town driving average 9 to 11 mpg . Not rough with the car , I drive it in s mode. My car has 4700 miles. These mpg’s has always been. Is this normal? No off roading .
image.jpg

i have a '23 sport that has different tires and possibly gearing ratio..my averages on light traffic roads and expressways are around 25/30..a bit below epa estimates..unless you do a ton of stop and go driving yours should not be that low even in the wilderness model...if you haven't done so yet, I would fill up, drive a constant 60 on an xway for 50 miles or so, fill up again and calculate mpg..if still way low show results to your subaru tech..good luck

Curious to know if you drive in I Mode instead of S Mode if you get any significant improvement in mileage? Agree with above post that something is wrong if you are getting such low mileage on a relatively new vehicle. I have '22 and '24 Forester's that get around 26 to 28 in all around driving. Little less during winter (live in snow belt). The S Mode is going to cause your engine to rev much higher and has to burn more gas if you use it all the time.

I live in the Midwest these mpg are summer time . I do not drive in s mode . My mpg is worst than a jeep grand Cherokee . No that crazy no off road just city . Subaru should be ashamed of this vehicle with this gas mileage . I always believed that it should have been a turbo . Don’t understand they knew it would consume more gas to operate. Am I the only one with 10 mpg? If so they need to let me know the issue . They being my dealership . I have an appointment with my dealership on this issue. It has been bad mpg since day one . I have about 4800 miles now. I will post the results of the findings . This vehicle is leased .

I have the 2023 forester wilderness I love the car but the gas mileage is absolutely terrible . In town driving average 9 to 11 mpg . Not rough with the car , I drive it in s mode. My car has 4700 miles. These mpg’s has always been. Is this normal? No off roading . View attachment 2544
NO!! Not normal, not normal by a long shot. We have a 2022 Forester, not. Wilderness but I believe th motors are the same or at least similar and if I’m not getting 25 to 26 in town I’m disappointed. We have a 2022 Ford F150 Econo-Boost truck that gets 10 mpg when hauling a 26 foot, 6000 lb trailer. Take it back to the dealer, they have work to do.

The regular forest is different than the wilderness. For one this is the feel of quickness in the rpm’s . I have had about 5 forester all the trim levels . But this is the one that a wilderness. It will out perform any stick forester in bad conditions absolutely . The tires suspension and higher ground clearance and different shocks . Computer changes for engine rpm’s all those things may contribute to the difference in mpg’s
But as I stated before I believe this 2.5 liter motor should have been a turbo to begin with from Subaru engineering. Needs more power .

Does the car ever smell like gasoline? It is hard to believe that your gas mileage could be so lousy. A fuel injector might be leaking gas into the intake manifold, and, an interesting factoid, is that the extra fuel will not burn completely in the engine because there will not be enough oxygen to burn it all. Downstream, The cat will burn the extra gas and overheat!
If you like to drive with your foot to the floor (and wish you had a turbo) then you may be more aggressive than most, but it is still quite unusual gas consumption. If S-mode stands for "Sport" then it will extract more performance by revving higher before it shifts, but that is not enough to explain this problem.

The regular forest is different than the wilderness. For one this is the feel of quickness in the rpm’s . I have had about 5 forester all the trim levels . But this is the one that a wilderness. It will out perform any stick forester in bad conditions absolutely . The tires suspension and higher ground clearance and different shocks . Computer changes for engine rpm’s all those things may contribute to the difference in mpg’s
But as I stated before I believe this 2.5 liter motor should have been a turbo to begin with from Subaru engineering. Needs more power .
I understand the differences between the Wilderness and The Touriing, I’ve drooled over a Wilderness for a while now, but the mileage should be better then a third of what most folks are getting. I’m surprised that you haven’t gotten a “Check Engine Light”. All that fuel has got to be going someplace. Be interesting to pull a spark plug and see what it looks like.

i have a '23 sport that has different tires and possibly gearing ratio..my averages on light traffic roads and expressways are around 25/30..a bit below epa estimates..unless you do a ton of stop and go driving yours should not be that low even in the wilderness model...if you haven't done so yet, I would fill up, drive a constant 60 on an xway for 50 miles or so, fill up again and calculate mpg..if still way low show results to your subaru tech..good luck
In town driving about 8 miles per day .

Ask a Question