Electrical starting problem on Impreza

Reaction score
Electrical Problem on my 2013 Subaru Impreza

A couple weeks ago, I noticed the power on starting up was a bit sluggish. Then a day or so later, my Impreza wouldn't start. I checked the battery and there was some corrosion. So I poured some baking soda and vinegar and cleared off the corrosion and it started.

Then a few days later, I began to notice the sluggish start returning. Then on Saturday it wouldn't start again. I did some troubleshooting and noticed both battery connectors were as tight as they could go, but slid right off the connections. So I replaced the connectors. Then I went to start it, and it wouldn't turn over (but like there still wasn't enough power) so I figured the battery was dead. I went to jump it with another car, and then it still wouldn't turn fully over after charging with the other car running for about 10 minutes. So I pulled the battery on my old Forester (which is newer) and it started this time.

I ran it for about 5 minutes, turned it off, tried to start it and not enough power again. So I jumped it again (still with the newer battery), and then I disconnected the battery connector. Continued staying running. Left it on for a few minutes, completely disconnected from the battery. Stayed running the whole time.

So I disconnected the ground that is connected to the starter engine bolt and scrubbed it (even though there wasn't any corrosion). Still doesn't have enough power to start on its own.

The last thing I checked was the cables themselves, and there doesn't immediately appear to be any swelling on the visible cables, nor any significant signs of damage.

It seems like there's just not a clean connection being made somewhere, even though the connectors are replaced and when you connect jumper cables, after the battery gets recharged, it is able to start.

I asked an old Subaru mechanic friend of mine and he seems a bit puzzled by this so I figured I would turn to reddit. Any help would be appreciated.

The picture I attached is the positive connection. One thing I'm wondering is that a fuse in that tiny box? Could this little box have anything to do with the connection not being made?

Attachments

• 73434ce8-12bb-4c8d-b78c-2fa0fc298e53.jpg
    73434ce8-12bb-4c8d-b78c-2fa0fc298e53.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 0

Ask a Question