DOHC Pick up and sensor

Reaction score
Ok, I usually like to be the guy giving the answers, however I'm perplexed and out of "Time"😂
My Foster Daughters 98 outback, water pump....so timing belt, idlers, tensioner, thermostat, cap....oh and 2 C.V. repair boots ta boot!
K, not my first rodeo. However it is my first DOHC Subby. It was getting late but anyhow torn down to and here's where I went wrong. I didn't look at the cam timing marks as to put my own marks on them(both times I make that mistake...first & last!) I went with existing and lined up put the belt on and felt I was a cog off on the left bank drivers side upper cam. Everybody knows that's the turd! Finally got it maybe but it don't look quite right. 2 revs and it's off a cog drug it back one and went 2 more revs....this is when I see that the upper cam has its 2 hash marks up top and it's single aligned with the bottom cam.....wait! WTF?
I'm a highly perceptive attention to detail oriented Sumbich. I've made my living as a mechanic(heavy equipment) and some passenger vehicles. There's no damn way this cam rotated 1 rev when I wasn't or was looking. So now I'm down the rabbit hole....is it possible to locate the cam sprocket 180° out? How do the pickup(s) work ? Are there 2 180° out? Has this thing been had diarrhea of the mouth, or talking shit? Can't be ! If the valve timing was 180° out she'd be exhaust/ compression/power/intake which I suppose would sorta work using atmospheric at 14.7 psig flooded back into the chamber from exhaust valves but after she fired she'd have way bad heartburn. I'ma bout to line up timing marks properly (almost against my better judgement) with interference between valve train it's a deliberate action to rotate 1 cam a revolution while the rest of the valves and slugs remain in their position.
So one of you smot peeps tell me just WTF do you think is going on.....it could be I guess that my fuckin cheese has finally slid off my cracker!

Ask a Question