Discontinued parts!

Reaction score
Hey All, my alternator terminal boot for the positive battery harness started smoking today.

I have had some issues with my car not starting so I replaced a few parts (starter, alternator, battery) and the car ran for a bit.

Later it wouldn't start. My neighbor was a mechanic and asked if he'd take a peek and he noted the battery cable was severely corroded. He told me to pour some vinegar on it as it may just be dropping the voltage. Sure enough that worked. =O
Now, months later the car was doing something similar. I did the vinegar trick and trickle charged the battery. The car started up and was able to drive. But, after letting it sit for an hour or two I tried to start it and no go. :-\ I jumped the car and was able to drive. As I was driving I smelled some burning. I opened the hood and the red rubber boot on the alternator was smoking. I think its the 81601AE35A Battery Cable Assembly as I would like to replace the whole thing anyway (no more stinky vinegar wires!) and it seems its discontinued. I called the dealer and they said they can't do anything about it. What is a guy to do?? I checked ebay, and can't seem to find one. Can I use a 81601AE36A/81601AE38A? Has anyone tried using a different part? Any suggestions / leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240603_164831.jpg
    20240603_164831.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 3
Hey All, my alternator terminal boot for the positive battery harness started smoking today.

I have had some issues with my car not starting so I replaced a few parts (starter, alternator, battery) and the car ran for a bit.

Later it wouldn't start. My neighbor was a mechanic and asked if he'd take a peek and he noted the battery cable was severely corroded. He told me to pour some vinegar on it as it may just be dropping the voltage. Sure enough that worked. =O
Now, months later the car was doing something similar. I did the vinegar trick and trickle charged the battery. The car started up and was able to drive. But, after letting it sit for an hour or two I tried to start it and no go. :-\ I jumped the car and was able to drive. As I was driving I smelled some burning. I opened the hood and the red rubber boot on the alternator was smoking. I think its the 81601AE35A Battery Cable Assembly as I would like to replace the whole thing anyway (no more stinky vinegar wires!) and it seems its discontinued. I called the dealer and they said they can't do anything about it. What is a guy to do?? I checked ebay, and can't seem to find one. Can I use a 81601AE36A/81601AE38A? Has anyone tried using a different part? Any suggestions / leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sounds like you need a tech who's knowledgeable in electrical systems, i.e., parasitic draw, grounding problems, etc. Your new alternator and battery didn't seem to fix the real problem. Just a thought...

Ask a Question