Disabling keyless access function

Reaction score
Hello,

I park my car in a garage. The garage does not remove the keyfob from the car when they park it. And so, for the past year, I think I have probably warn-down my battery. According to the manual, leaving the keyfob inside the unlocked car for long periods of time is not good for the battery.

Because of this, I am looking into the "Disabling keyless access" function. My question is: if I disable this, will I no longer have to worry about leaving my keyfob in the car for days at a time while the car is unlocked? The manual is not clear about this. Thank you.

What year and model Subaru do you have? I never heard of this problem before of leaving the keyfob inside the car for long periods of time is bad for the battery. Not sure, but I doubt it is possible to disable keyless access without disabling the whole keyfob, which means you would not be able to start the vehicle. Best bet is to call Subaru National 800 Customer service and have them research it. Interesting question and problem.

What year and model Subaru do you have? I never heard of this problem before of leaving the keyfob inside the car for long periods of time is bad for the battery. Not sure, but I doubt it is possible to disable keyless access without disabling the whole keyfob, which means you would not be able to start the vehicle. Best bet is to call Subaru National 800 Customer service and have them research it. Interesting question and problem.

The problem of draining both the key fob and the battery when the key fob is left inside an unlocked vehicle is documented often in the manual. I have a 2024 integra. Also, it is possible to disable the keyless access without disabling the entire key fob (again, in the manual) and it is possible to start the car with the key fob even when it does not have a battery in it (process described in the manual). My question is does disabling the keyless access stop the drain on the battery issue if the key fob is left in the unlocked car.

This might work for you.....

Where in the video does it talk about whether disabling the keyless access will or will not stop the drain on the battery issue if the key fob is left in the unlocked car? The video is about setting a pin code.

Where in the video does it talk about whether disabling the keyless access will or will not stop the drain on the battery issue if the key fob is left in the unlocked car? The video is about setting a pin code.
The intent was to demonstrate how disable your key fob. Apologies for this not being exactly what you needed. Admin please delete my membership.

The intent was to demonstrate how disable your key fob. Apologies for this not being exactly what you needed. Admin please delete my membership.

No problem. The issue isn't about disabling the key fob though. The question is whether disabling keyless access (not the key fob) will prevent battery drainage or not. It's an 8 minute video and doesn't address the topic of the thread at all. No need to delete your membership (lol), but you might want to delete the post and save people the time.

Another way to disable an access fob from draining it's battery is to put it inside of a Faraday shield bag then hide that inside the car somewhere. Since the fob is prevented from communicating with the car, my guess is that the battery in the fob would prevented from being drained too.
I hide my spare fob in the car inside of two Faraday shield bags. The car simply can't detect it. One made for key fobs, the other for smart phones.
I also have a couple of replacement fob batteries tucked away in the console should I ever need a ready replacement. The batteries are common and cheap enough.
I also keep my active fob in a shield pouch in my pocket to prevent it being hacked and the car easily stolen. Yes, they're out there, especially in places like shopping malls.

Another way to disable an access fob from draining it's battery is to put it inside of a Faraday shield bag then hide that inside the car somewhere. Since the fob is prevented from communicating with the car, my guess is that the battery in the fob would prevented from being drained too.
I hide my spare fob in the car inside of two Faraday shield bags. The car simply can't detect it. One made for key fobs, the other for smart phones.
I also have a couple of replacement fob batteries tucked away in the console should I ever need a ready replacement. The batteries are common and cheap enough.
I also keep my active fob in a shield pouch in my pocket to prevent it being hacked and the car easily stolen. Yes, they're out there, especially in places like shopping malls.
Thanks for the reply. Actually a great idea if I can get the guys who park my car to put the keys in the box after they are done parking the car. Question: why hide the fob in 2 faraday bags? If one bag can't safely be relied on to stop all communication, can 2? As for hackers, makes me just want to turn the keyless access off altogether. I never even wanted the feature actually. I'll disable keyless access and not have to worry about hackers or the battery draining.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Actually a great idea if I can get the guys who park my car to put the keys in the box.
The fob and keys actually attach to the Faraday pouch via a key chain that is part of the pouch. You have to hunt it down on line to have a look for yourself. Mine has a cover flap with velcro closure. Here's a link for one like I have. I got mine on ebay along with some made for smartphones. Smartphones are another popular target. Not everywhere but some places like shopping malls with lots of traffic and people.

The fob and keys actually attach to the Faraday pouch via a key chain that is part of the pouch. You have to hunt it down on line to have a look for yourself. Mine has a cover flap with velcro closure. Here's a link for one like I have. I got mine on ebay along with some made for smartphones. Smartphones are another popular target. Not everywhere but some places like shopping malls with lots of traffic and people.

Thanks much for this information! Would you mind shedding a little light on how/why smart phones can be a target? Thanks.

Thanks much for this information! Would you mind shedding a little light on how/why smart phones can be a target? Thanks.
Your smartphone can be hacked into by unscrupulous sorts and all kinds of info you may have stored on it like banking, shopping etc. swiped. There's lots of info on the web about it. All you need to do is search it out. Actually the same kind of low life people who would steal your car or break into your house. I assume you lock your house and car doors when you leave them untended. These are just latter day pickpockets and burgler types using technology to commit their crimes. Remember, locks are only there to keep honest folks honest.

Your smartphone can be hacked into by unscrupulous sorts and all kinds of info you may have stored on it like banking, shopping etc. swiped. There's lots of info on the web about it. All you need to do is search it out. Actually the same kind of low life people who would steal your car or break into your house. I assume you lock your house and car doors when you leave them untended. These are just latter day pickpockets and burgler types using technology to commit their crimes. Remember, locks are only there to keep honest folks honest.

Agreed. Thanks again!

Ask a Question