Did Outback switch from separate high/low to unified high/low headlight bulbs in 2011?

Reaction score
My 2011 Outback has separate high beam lights, large and lower, than the low beam lights which are smaller and higher to the outside. I took it to the shop because the one side low beam light would not come on even with a new bulb. They spent all day and said they had to charge me a "diagnostic fee" because they just couldn't figure out why so I agreed to it, thinking it must be some horrible electrical issue. Finally they said the bulb, which I had just replaced trying to get it to work, was just burned out. After some debate, it turns out the tech was looking at the high beam light because his computer told him it was a unified high/low. He refused to believe that the one I pointed out was the low beam, said it must be a running light, and blamed me for calling it a low beam and the shop refused to refund the fee. Obviously I'll not be going back but I will leave a vile review.

I stopped at NAPA and asked them to look up the low beam and their computer also showed a unified high/low bulb. Amazon's "guaranteed to fit" selects the unified high/low. WTF happened in 2011? The VIN for my car searches up as a 2011 model year.

I know the little round bulb really is the low beam because when the fuse labelled low beam is pulled, the one light that does work, does not work until that fuse is replaced. I also know because I replaced it before but I usually just take the dead bulb in to NAPA and ask for a replacement, I never just said give me an Outback low beam bulb.

The attached pictures show the left low beam working but the right is not (the larger high only beams off).

Oh, and I still haven't got it working because I don't want another shop fiasco. I need to know what to tell the next shop so they don't investigate the wrong bulb.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20241023_213120262[1].jpg
    IMG_20241023_213120262[1].jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20241023_213137312[1].jpg
    IMG_20241023_213137312[1].jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ask a Question