Cyclic Noise Forester XT

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 20018 Subaru Forester XT with around 80K miles on it. When driving up hill and accelerating there is a cyclic noise that my car is making. I do not believe my car made this noise prior. It does not seem to inhibit performance. I thought it might have been the serpentine belt slapping, so i changed that and the tensioner. This did not solve the problem. The are no codes on the car. Does anyone have any ideas?

History: The turbo had to be replaced at 60000K miles, Oil changes are done on correct intervals, both lower control arms have been replaced.

Thanks for the help in advance!

- Kieran

I have to agree that changing the oil is important to the health and longevity of the motor. Most often if the VVT solenoid (Variable Valve Timing) is clogged it can cause some timing issues. What's interesting is if it were the VVT you would most likely see a Check Engine light. Changing the oil probably will not fix any issues but at least it will give you peace of mind that it has good oil.

I was referring to the transmission, which is a CVT type. They are very fussy about their lubricant.

Ask a Question