Car Starts Itself

Reaction score
I have had my Crosstrek about 20 months. It is my third Crosstrek. Three times in the last 2 months I have found my car running. Each time I had driven it away from my home. One time I drove for 2 hours and the other 2 times I drove about 15 minutes away from home. I know I turned the car off and locked it. Once someone was with me. When I returned to my car it was running. I had the key fob in my purse. I don’t know what started it or why it would start without the key fob in it. Yesterday I called the dealership service department to make an appointment. The person I spoke with didnt believe me and assured me that I had “push to start” on my fob and it probably hit something in my purse. He said the service agent would show me when I take it in today. When I arrived I showed the service person my fob and she assured me I did not have “push to start”. They kept my car for 1 1/2 hours. I was told they could not find anything that would cause this. However if it happens again bring it back it. I asked what will you do differently if it happens again. Basically, check it out again and document it. What do I do?

I have had my Crosstrek about 20 months. It is my third Crosstrek. Three times in the last 2 months I have found my car running. Each time I had driven it away from my home. One time I drove for 2 hours and the other 2 times I drove about 15 minutes away from home. I know I turned the car off and locked it. Once someone was with me. When I returned to my car it was running. I had the key fob in my purse. I don’t know what started it or why it would start without the key fob in it. Yesterday I called the dealership service department to make an appointment. The person I spoke with didnt believe me and assured me that I had “push to start” on my fob and it probably hit something in my purse. He said the service agent would show me when I take it in today. When I arrived I showed the service person my fob and she assured me I did not have “push to start”. They kept my car for 1 1/2 hours. I was told they could not find anything that would cause this. However if it happens again bring it back it. I asked what will you do differently if it happens again. Basically, check it out again and document it. What do I do?

I have a solution. On Amazon buy a rubber protective sleeve for Subaru key fobs. It adds just enough thickness to prevent accidental button depressions. We've done this on 2 Subarus - 2020 Forester and 2022 Crosstrek and we've never had a problem. These are difficult to put on but worth their weight in gold. If I recall cost is around $10. I'ts like a condom for your Subaru Key Fob! LOL

Ask a Question