Basic engine replacement questions

Reaction score
Vehicle Details: 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5L 170 hp engine EJ253
Even though this is an Outback forum maybe some people here could help.

I have a 2010 Forester with +200K miles but the underside looks good and clean and rust free which is fantastic for Maine. It has started knocking and stalling and the garage says it's a rod so with this many miles I should put a different engine in it or get rid of it. Being good underneath I'm thinking a used or remanufactured engine. I'm seeing remanufactured prices from $3.5K to $8K. Pretty well guess the $8K range might be for real, but can you get a remanufactured engine for around $4K with a 4 year warranty or is that necessarily a scam? Best legit sounding so far is 64K miles with a 90 day warranty, no core charge and free shipping. What I'm afraid of is that timing belt and head gasket horror those things have after 100K miles or so. Already went through that once and don't want to buy a used engine for $2500 and then in a year or two throw another $2K into it for that issue IF a remanufactured is possible for $4K or even $5K.

Is there a reasonable source for remanufactured engines that you guys are familiar with and would recommend?

Another thought is get a used engine with around 60K miles and have the garage replace the timing belt and head gaskets while it's still out of the vehicle. If they could do it for $1K or less that would be worth it maybe?

Thank you for any help learning this stuff!!
David
Maine, USA

Ask a Question