Anyone with a 6mt and mechanical experience that can share some light?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Im asking here too see if anyone can give me some light.

I own a Subaru Crosstrek 2018 with a manual 6 speed transmission. A week ago my clutch fork broke leaving me stranded for a few minutes. I was able to get the car to a local mechanic by getting the car into 3rd gear by rev matching.

The local mechanic changed the clutch, clutch fork, throw-out bearing, pressure plate, pilot bearing and also the slave cylinder. All with genuine subaru parts (I got them myself).
The car now has a marked improvement in how it feels. Feels like a new car (Except for the issue below) But, here's the issue: It now grinds when I try to engage 2nd gear. Only that one. The others work great.

Some other things to consider:
  • The car has 145k miles
  • This issue didn't exist before. All the gears engaged without issues before
  • Most of the time, the gear WONT grind if I wait until the rpms are lowering and at 1600 to 1500rpm
  • If I try to put the car in 2nd gear with the clutch pedal fully depressed and the car stationary, sometimes it grinds, sometime it doesnt.
  • The gear grinds, but it engages most of the time
  • This only happens to 2nd gear. All the others work fine
  • Double clutching has no effect, It grinds anyway
  • The mechanic did the job by raising the engine
  • The mechanic says he didn't cause the issue since the clutch work is done outside the transmission.
  • During the troubleshooting for the fork issue, the mechanic disconnected the hydraulic line and depressed the clutch to see if there was pressure. Im 99% sure that he didnt bleed the system afterwards.
  • He didnt touch the clutch pedal. The pedal feels lighter than before
What can this be? Is it possible that this could be caused by something outside the transmission? Like the gear shifter, the clutch pedal or something like that? Makes me wonder if air in the hydraulic system can cause this issue, but Im not sure since only 2nd gear is affected.

As of today Im using the car without using that gear, just jumping from 1st to 3rd

Your mechanic is right, however comma, If there is any air in the hydraulic lines OR if the throwout bearing is not adjusted correctly so that the clutch still has a tiny amount of drag when disengaged, it can aggravate the condition of worn syncros.

2nd gear syncros are usually the first to go, then third, fourth, fifth and finally sixth. The adjustment of the throwout bearing is done at the slave cylinder I believe or at the pedal to master cylinder if I'm wrong.

But your mechanic did not cause the issue, syncros wear out. But slightly different tolerances with the new parts can uncover them.

If your vehicle has a clutch inspection plate, they are getting rare these days, your mechanic might be able to check for clearances between the clutch plate and the flywheel and the clutch plate to the pressure plate. A tight pilot bearing could also cause the issue.

Suggestion, as soon as the clutch engages in first gear, immediately shift to second. Do not wind it out in first gear. You will get better fuel economy and it is actually easier on the engine.

Yep! Syncros wear out. And what can hasten their demise? Things like de-clutching coming to a stop and putting it in a much lower gear. Like from 4th gear or higher and going to 2nd or 1st long before coming to a stop.

When I come to a stop. I do one of two things. 1, I de-clutch, put it in neutral and wait until I stop to put it in first. 2, shift from higher to lower gear sequentially.

Ask a Question