Accidentally pressed on the gas pedal while in the park

lzr

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone happen to know if Subaru XV 2017 has "over rev limiter" that prevents engine damage from high RPM? I accidentally pressed on the gas pedal [instead of break] all the way down while the car was in the park. I presume RPM were in red area for a few seconds.

Hopefully the engine was already warm? If so, you're most likely to be okay. Fuel cut off is available . Cold is another issue. Lubrication may not have been covering all critical areas. In this case don't loose any more sleep over it. Damage would have reared it's ugly head by now...

Hi,
Anyone happen to know if Subaru XV 2017 has "over rev limiter" that prevents engine damage from high RPM? I accidentally pressed on the gas pedal [instead of break] all the way down while the car was in the park. I presume RPM were in red area for a few seconds.
All modern cars have limiters that prevent damage. Few seconds in red doesn't cause damage. Red is just a warning that you're getting close to safe operating limits.

OP states "presume in the red". Doesn't really know for sure....
Just to clarify..

Your statement..." I presume I was in the red area". This means you are not sure.

Your statement..." I presume I was in the red area". This means you are not sure.
I was not watching the RPM indicator, but I pressed the gas all the way down as I was going to shift to drive and thought it was break pedal. And the engine was hot (was idling for some 15 min).

All modern cars have limiters that prevent damage. Few seconds in red doesn't cause damage. Red is just a warning that you're getting close to safe operating limits.
It's a relief, although I thought 2017 is not too modern.

Ask a Question