98 Subaru Legacy L 2.2

Reaction score
Good Morning ! Here is the recent addition to our Subaru fleet ! 98 Legacy L . Has the 2.2 automatic and is super clean. Bought it to drive mostly to Woodstock and back weekly. Looking for help with an issue. I've had this car for a month and then needed to replace the alternator. Normally i take it and have the old one rebuilt. They couldn't so no big deal, put a shelve rebuilt one in. About a week later starting smelling burnt rubber. Inspected and everything thing looked and felt fine. Thinking I might have over tensioned the belt I adjusted it, same smell. I did notice the smell inside and outside wasn't as bad when the AC was running. Drove 150 miles no smell. When I turned it off yhe AC, it came back. Now IDK if it's even the belts or something else. Car has 78000 on it and has new timing belt and water pump install just before I bought it. Has me stumped. Other than that it's been a fun ride.

I suggest you loosen the belt and see if the pulley on the alternator is turning free and also check the pulley on the AC and see if it is turning freely.
Check the belt tensioner to see for the pulley is rattling. Bearings may be bad. Hope this may help. Paul

Ask a Question