2021 Subaru Outback

Reaction score
Hi,

this winter storm is kicking my ass, our 2021 outback has “died” for the last 3 mornings, not enough juice to start.

I’ve had the battery tested and it indicates “good” but still won’t stay charged during the night. When I put my jumper cables on the battery it reads 12.3 amps but won’t turn over.

I’ve been jump starting my outback with a 2002 4runner with an optima battery. Until yesterday when I had to put a battery charger on the car as it won’t start from a jump.

The 2021 has very limited battery options and from what I’ve read has exhibited a marked lack of cold weather cranking power. I want to put an optima red or yellow top in my outback (since this battery has never done things in my 4runner) but I want to make sure it will fit.

Anyone have any experience putting an optima battery in an Outback when it’s not listed as being a proper fit?

thanks!

Use the original version of battery only but use the Duracell premium batteries.
Have a technician scan the entire network for recorded faults and save them.
I have had an optima and very disappointing.
Don't be surprised if the original is still in good condition. It needs to be properly charged and load tested.
The next test is to measure the parasitic draw on the electrical system. If not familiar with that test (using a DC AMP clamp) and ensuring the vehicle network is in "sleep mode", the parasitic draw can be tested.
If there is a parasite, a very smart technician can narrow the parasite by measuring across each fuse using the mV scale. Those readings can calculate the current draw in that circuit depending on fuse amperage rating and the mV read on the multi-meter.
If there is any aftermarket equipment installed, even a GPS tracker, disconnect and test again.
The key word is sleep mode and smart technician knows what that means and how to leave it in sleep mode to test the systems without waking up the network.

Ask a Question