2020 Outback Shut down doing 75mph

Reaction score
(2020 Outback with 42,500)
Last week traveling on the interstate toll road at 75mph check engine alert came on with RAB and loss of eye-sight. I was in fairly heavy traffic including trucks when I went from 75-76 mph down to approx 20 … I was on the inside lane!! Somehow I didn’t get smashed into and made it over to the outside pull off. Thank GOD. I struggled to limp off the toll road and to an exit which led me to a undesirable location. I let it cool off although there was no indication of overheating, but I was able to drive at 30mph to the nearest dealer where I waited almost 5 hours to get my car fixed. The problem was a Thermal Control Valve which was replaced at no charge under warranty.

All I know is this should be addressed as a life threatening problem. I was somehow spared a horrible outcome.

Upon other reseach I found out this has been a problem with this part which is basically a fancy thermostat in a way. The problems I read are going back a couple years and no recall on this part which was redesigned but not really available. Mine has the new one according to my repair order the part number is 21319AA040A

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this very informative post. My husband had the same experience on the freeway with our 2020 Forester in June. Very scary. He took it in for service and was told they could not find a problem. We've been driving the car with no problems until today when the engine light, Eye Sight light and RAB indicators all came on; the car was also stuck on Sport mode. I could not change it. Fortunately, I was not on the freeway when this happened. I went straight to the dealer. I just got a call from the service department and was advised the Thermal Control Valve is faulty. It's being replaced at no charge being under warranty.
I agree we should have been warned with a recall or notice as this could have been a life-threatening situation.

(2020 Outback with 42,500)
Last week traveling on the interstate toll road at 75mph check engine alert came on with RAB and loss of eye-sight. I was in fairly heavy traffic including trucks when I went from 75-76 mph down to approx 20 … I was on the inside lane!! Somehow I didn’t get smashed into and made it over to the outside pull off. Thank GOD. I struggled to limp off the toll road and to an exit which led me to a undesirable location. I let it cool off although there was no indication of overheating, but I was able to drive at 30mph to the nearest dealer where I waited almost 5 hours to get my car fixed. The problem was a Thermal Control Valve which was replaced at no charge under warranty.
life threatening problem
All I know is this should be addressed as a . I was somehow spared a horrible outcome.

Upon other reseach I found out this has been a problem with this part which is basically a fancy thermostat in a way. The problems I read are going back a couple years and no recall on this part which was redesigned but not really available. Mine has the new one according to my repair order the part number is 21319AA040A

Thank you so much for this very informative post. My husband had the same experience on the freeway with our 2020 Forester in June. Very scary. He took it in for service and was told they could not find a problem. We've been driving the car with no problems until today when the engine light, Eye Sight light and RAB indicators all came on; the car was also stuck on Sport mode. I could not change it. Fortunately, I was not on the freeway when this happened. I went straight to the dealer. I just got a call from the service department and was advised the Thermal Control Valve is faulty. It's being replaced at no charge being under warranty.
I agree we should have been warned with a recall or notice as this could have been a life-threatening situation.

I’m happy to hear You’re Both ok.
Make sure on your repair order that the new part number is listed for the install... hopefully it is actually the new part. I used to be a Parts Person for a large company and part numbers are pretty arcuate if the actual part is tagged/engraved etc. During my career as a Critical Parts Handler I experienced many changes in metallurgy, modifications, circumventing etc. all to accurately identify the correctness of said parts. What I’m saying is sometimes old inventory is phased out by the Supplier by using the parts rather than actually replacing. I think this important to know if a failure or catastrophic class failure occurs.

This is a failure on Subaru for not having a recall.

BTW. prior to my failure event the same thing occurred but just briefly. I googled the manual and information and checked the items like was the gas cap still good or not screwed in correctly. I was able to let the car rest/cool off in a parking lot at the airport to pickup up an incoming Family member. The car operated fine for two weeks then on the way back from the airport dropping off my Family member is when the failure occurred. No warning!!! it was an overheating issue IMO but I didn’t look at the engine/water temperature display which is what I should have done as soon as I got to the side of the expressway.

So both times I was running the car at higher speeds for about an hour which of course make the motor run hotter. the part is a ‘Thermal’ bypass valve actually. Makes me wonder if that will happen again.. yikes.

Last edited:
The thermal control valve (TCV)is a terrible engineering mistake made by Subaru. It replaced the simple mechanical thermostat used probably since the beginning of the Internal combustion engine. Subaru should bite the bullet and somehow engineer a way to put the mechanical valve back in every vehicle with a thermal valve. I think the thermal control valve was put in the 2019-2024 vehicles. In 2025 they are going back to the reliable mechanical thermostat from what I understand. I have 3 Subarus now but will not purchase anything newer with the TCV in it.

Ask a Question