2018 Outback 60K mile service

Reaction score
My 2018 Outback is closing in on 59K miles. The local Subaru dealer's recommended 60K mile service schedule includes: oil & filter, tire rotation, brake fluid, transmission fluid, engine coolant, spark plugs**, inspect brakes, inspect HVAC operation, lubricate locks and hinges, road test drivability inspection, and a multi-point inspection for ~$1300. The schedule does not say what will be done about the spark plugs. What do you recommend I ask the service manager? Which of these services really should be done by Subaru. I have had the oil & filter and tire rotation done elsewhere. Thank you for your advice.

I have a 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring. I had all the scheduled maintenance you mentioned as well as the spark plugs replaced as per the 60K recommendation. The engine coolant for my car anyway isn't due until 100K. I did have the spark plugs replaced because in order to reach a couple cylinders, the engine has to be lifted. I also have my tires rotated and car aligned elsewhere. When I purchased the vehicle new from the dealer, I also purchased the synthetic oil changes for life.

Well, first things first. What does the owners manual state about all these services?

If you have a turbo motor, yes on the plugs, otherwise no.

Same with coolant. Should be 100k miles.

If you have a CVT trans yes on fluid change.

Yes on brake fluid flush. Ask for DOT 4 fluid and you will be good for another 100k miles. DOT 3, not so much...

Ask a Question