$200 OR EQUAL AMOUNT IN YOUR PREFERRED CURRENCY IN REWARD TO THE FIRST PERSON THAT COME UP WITH THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!

Reaction score
The money will be transfered via Paypal.

If thats not an option i could do a bank transfer, but i would prefer using Paypal.

Car info:

Subaru Forester DIESEL (production date: 2016 07 25)

Chassi nr: JF1SJDLY5GG292621

20Z 2,0L Doch turbo DIESEL

Denso fuel system

Fail syntoms 99,99% of the times:

Error code: P1604 Startability malfunction (no other error codes!).

Engine cranks but no ignition what so ever!

No signal to the injectors. (connected a 5w buld to one injector harness and no reaction)

Parts that has been changed:

Crankshaft position sensor (factory new)

Camshaft position sensor (used from a car that runs)

All injectors (factory new)

High pressure fuel pump (factory new)

Fuel rail (used from a junkyard)

Engine harness (used from a car that runs)

Engine ECU, key, intergrated unit (anti-theft) and instrument cluster (used from a car that runs) .

Other parts has also been changed.

Very rarely (0,01% of the times) the engine can start right up with no problems at all and would run and drives like new!

Everyone is welcome to take a guess or come with possible leeds how to fix the problem!

But im hoping that someone has had this exact problem and has found the solution to the problem!

You can contact me at:

reservdelar#harenebilab.se (used # insted of @)

I have posted on multiple forums and i will try to watch them and keep them updated, but i would appriciate if you send me a e-mail if you have posted something in the thread.

Many thanks in advance!

The money will be transfered via Paypal.

If thats not an option i could do a bank transfer, but i would prefer using Paypal.

Car info:

Subaru Forester DIESEL (production date: 2016 07 25)

Chassi nr: JF1SJDLY5GG292621

20Z 2,0L Doch turbo DIESEL

Denso fuel system

Fail syntoms 99,99% of the times:

Error code: P1604 Startability malfunction (no other error codes!).

Engine cranks but no ignition what so ever!

No signal to the injectors. (connected a 5w buld to one injector harness and no reaction)

Parts that has been changed:

Crankshaft position sensor (factory new)

Camshaft position sensor (used from a car that runs)

All injectors (factory new)

High pressure fuel pump (factory new)

Fuel rail (used from a junkyard)

Engine harness (used from a car that runs)

Engine ECU, key, intergrated unit (anti-theft) and instrument cluster (used from a car that runs) .

Other parts has also been changed.

Very rarely (0,01% of the times) the engine can start right up with no problems at all and would run and drives like new!

Everyone is welcome to take a guess or come with possible leeds how to fix the problem!

But im hoping that someone has had this exact problem and has found the solution to the problem!

You can contact me at:

reservdelar#harenebilab.se (used # insted of @)

I have posted on multiple forums and i will try to watch them and keep them updated, but i would appriciate if you send me a e-mail if you have posted something in the thread.

Many thanks in advance!
Just a WAG. Check your control area network modules. This was mentioned somewhere in connection with battery drain issues. Good luck.

Just a WAG. Check your control area network modules. This was mentioned somewhere in connection with battery drain issues. Good luck.
"Check your control area network modules" what is that exactly?
All systems are checked with Subaru SSM4 program and no other faulty code other then P1604 are visible.

I would try another crankshaft position sensor proven to be good.
Hello and thanks for your reply!
New sensor fitted + another one from a car that runs. Torque converter inspected and no fault found on it. And the RPM shows when you try to start the engine with Subaru SSM4 program.
But it feels like the crank sensor is involved in this problem some how?
Just cant figur out what it is :-(.

Maybe try someone else's code reader. I know that AutoZone will do the scan for free. I've heard that sometimes code reader brands are not accurate.

Then if that does not help, are you sure your glow plugs work (not sure if your car has them)?

Maybe try someone else's code reader. I know that AutoZone will do the scan for free. I've heard that sometimes code reader brands are not accurate.

Then if that does not help, are you sure your glow plugs work (not sure if your car has them)?
Im using the Subaru SSM4 to scan all codes.
The car has glow plugs, but should start without them if its not really cold.
Problem is that the engine ECU is not pulsing the injectors.

Ok. Just thought the code scanner idea would at least rule out the scanner itself.

Is the battery good? Fully charged?

Is the wiring harness for the injectors getting power to the injectors? You said "No signal to the injectors. (connected a 5w buld to one injector harness and no reaction)". Does the wire have continuity, use a multimeter and test due resistance.?

Battery is good, and a second battery is also connected when i crank.
Wires from the engine ECU and the injectors are good, no signal to the injectors from the ECU.

When you swapped your ECU, did you check the connectors thoroughly? Weird problems like that may occur if juste a bad connection is made. There are tens of them at the ECU, so you could try to clean them all with a contact cleaner, and redo the plugging as tight as possible.
You may also have someone try to start the engine while someone else shakes a bit the cable bundles, and see if it increases the number of successful startups.

When you swapped your ECU, did you check the connectors thoroughly? Weird problems like that may occur if juste a bad connection is made. There are tens of them at the ECU, so you could try to clean them all with a contact cleaner, and redo the plugging as tight as possible.
You may also have someone try to start the engine while someone else shakes a bit the cable bundles, and see if it increases the number of successful startups.
The connections to the engine ECU looks like new and all pins in the connector is level and the snap-looks on both connectors works as they should. I have sprayed the connections with contact spray also.

Ask a Question